Loading...

Saturday, September 27, 2014

BEHIND THE SCENES


BEHIND THE SCENES OF URI’S PRODUCTION OF “SEMINAR”

URI Theatre | By Sergio Suhett

On Saturday, September 20th, I had the opportunity to look behind the curtain of URI Theatre’s latest exciting production of Theresa Rebeck’s “Seminar.” Of course it wasn’t just a backstage tour for me – I had to do my part too, which meant participating in setting up and hanging the lights. And what a memorable experience it was! I’ve worked on the stage before but only as an actor, and I must say I had no idea that there was so much complex work to be done. I really have gained an increased respect for the masterful technicians whose contributions to making theatrical magic often go uncelebrated.

video

Master Electrician Kathy Giebler did an amazing job of guiding me – along with an eager team of other students – through the process of preparing a show’s lighting system. I couldn’t even begin to describe all of the effort involved but I can tell you that it is fascinating in its intricacy. I’ve included several shots so you can get something of a sense of what it was like. Many thanks to Kathy for a truly remarkable afternoon!




No comments:

Post a Comment