Saturday, September 27, 2014

BEHIND THE SCENES


BEHIND THE SCENES OF URI’S PRODUCTION OF “SEMINAR”

URI Theatre | By Sergio Suhett

On Saturday, September 20th, I had the opportunity to look behind the curtain of URI Theatre’s latest exciting production of Theresa Rebeck’s “Seminar.” Of course it wasn’t just a backstage tour for me – I had to do my part too, which meant participating in setting up and hanging the lights. And what a memorable experience it was! I’ve worked on the stage before but only as an actor, and I must say I had no idea that there was so much complex work to be done. I really have gained an increased respect for the masterful technicians whose contributions to making theatrical magic often go uncelebrated.


Master Electrician Kathy Giebler did an amazing job of guiding me – along with an eager team of other students – through the process of preparing a show’s lighting system. I couldn’t even begin to describe all of the effort involved but I can tell you that it is fascinating in its intricacy. I’ve included several shots so you can get something of a sense of what it was like. Many thanks to Kathy for a truly remarkable afternoon!




No comments:

Post a Comment